Through this scheme, the Ministry for the Environment, Sustainable Development and Climate Change (MESDC), on behalf of the Government, offers financial support to voluntary organisations engaged in projects and initiatives in sustainable development more specifically in the environment, society and the economy.
The Sustainable Development Fund is an allocated fund of 30,000 Euros.
The main objectives of this scheme are aimed to support voluntary organisations to undertake tangible sustainable development projects and initiatives that have the potential to cover activities and initiatives in line with the Sustainable Development Goals as indicated as indicated below.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s)
SDG’s – Social
· End poverty in all its forms everywhere
· End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
· Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
· Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
· Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
· Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
SDG’s – Environment
· Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
· Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
· Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
· Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
· Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
· Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
SDG’s Goals – Economy
· Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
· Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
· Reduce inequality within and among countries
· Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
The Ministry for the Environment, Sustainable Development, and Climate Change notes that the projects which merit support through this funding instrument to fund activities and related initiatives on the 3 main pillars i.e. society, the environment and the economy. It is important to note that the project meets the objectives, parameters, requirements and criteria, and addresses one Sustainable Development goal from one of the three Sustainable Development pillars as per Table 1, outlined in the attached guidelines. Projects, actions and initiatives should fall within the scope of the list of indicators as referred to in the following document “Final list of proposed Sustainable Development Goal indicators General Assembly resolution 68/261”.
The call for Applications for 2018 shall open on the 13th November 2017.
Information Meeting (Malta) - To be announced.
Venue: Board Room at MESDC offices, 6, Triq Hal – Qormi, Santa Venera.
Closing date - 7th December 2017.